It all started on Madeira Island, known around the world as the “Pearl of the Atlantic” for its green landscape, pleasant climate and unique seaside conditions, which make the island the ideal environment for growing one of the most sought-after fruits in the country: the Madeira Banana.
It is a special variety with noble origins, extremely rich in nutrients and vitamins, which concentrates all the sweetness and intensity of the banana`s original flavour in its traditionally smaller size. The banana production has the seal of origin and quality of an European Union Outermost Region, which certifies agricultural products coming from Outermost Regions. As such, it is not surprising that today it is Madeira`s second best export.
- Builds strong musclesThe high concentration of potassium, a mineral necessary for muscle contraction, helps to avoid cramps and fatigue, and makes the Madeira Banana a recommended food for professional athletes. Furthermore, it is rich in fibre and has 3 natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose - which give the natural boost of energy that is needed for intensive training.
- Keeps you in a good moodAnd not just because it is so incredibly delicious. In addition to balancing blood sugar levels, it concentrates high levels of tryptophan, an amino acid that is converted into serotonin, the famous happiness hormone. The result? Relaxation, good mood, and happiness levels that are tops.
- Helps memoryBecause it is rich in potassium, a mineral that helps carry oxygen to the brain, it ends up being extremely beneficial for some of its cognitive functions, such as memory and concentration.
- Makes healthy bonesBecause it has magnesium and calcium, which are so important in strengthening bones, teeth and cells in our body.
- Helps the little ones growSince it has the recommended dose of minerals, iron and vitamins, it is an excellent ally during the phase of growth and development of bodies and bones in children.
- Helps weight lossIt`s no coincidence that it is a required food in the majority of diet regimes: because it is a complete fruit, it helps maintain blood sugar levels, giving an immediate feeling of satisfaction and avoiding the famous irrational night visits to the refrigerator.
- Maintains blood pressure on an even keelSince it is extremely rich in potassium, the Madeira Banana is recommended for controlling blood pressure and it is a powerful aid in the prevention of heart attacks and strokes.
- Dolores` Banana Cake
This is mother Dolores`s best-kept secret. A light and fluffy cake with a sweet touch of Madeira Banana. Delicious and nutritious, it`s not surprising that it is preferred by The World`s Best.
Watch the video and learn how to make it in 15 minutes!Watch video
- Madeira Banana PancakesIf plain pancakes are delicious in themselves, imagine what Madeira Banana pancakes would be like. Have a champion`s breakfast or snack with this super easy recipe, with caramelised bananas on the side.See recipe
- Molasses-Grilled Trout with Madeira BananasDelicious trout fillets with Madeira banana as the accompaniment with a sweetened touch of molasses, to make it even more exotic and flavourful. You can`t miss!See recipe
- Scabbard fish Fillets with Madeira Banana and Passion FruitThis is a recipe faithful to its origins in Madeira: fresh fish cooked with the traditional fruit of the region. Discover the charms of sweet and sour in this adventurous dish, recommended for a special day.See recipe
- Fried Madeira banana with caramel sauce and ice creamA simple idea to improvise for a last-minute dinner: fried banana with vanilla ice cream, topped with caramel sauce, as much as gluttony allows.See recipe
- Madeira banana cheesecakeWe`ve shown that the Madeira banana can be used in cakes, mousses, ice creams and pancakes. But we`re still missing the classic dessert: cheesecake. Enjoy this fool-proof recipe.See recipe
- Madeira banana biscuitsNothing like homemade biscuits with an original banana flavour to enjoy with a cup of tea and a good conversation.See recipe
- Madeira banana breadA delicious middle ground between bread and cake, served warm with melted butter at tea time.See recipe
Another advantage of the Madeira banana is that you can use one hand to eat it while the other takes a selfie, all at the same time. Share your moments with the #bananadamadeira hashtag to show up here on our site.
- Production backstage with mother Dolores
It was an intensive 2-day filming shoot for the new Madeira banana publicity campaign, a super production that included aerial footage of the island captured with drones and filming at the Bananicultura Centre in Fajã dos Padres, and of course, in the warm hospitable home of Dolores Aveiro.
It was actually the first time mother Dolores ventured out into the world of advertising! See how it all came about by clicking the button below.Watch video
- Madeira IslandsWatch video